VAN HORN PUBLIC LIBRARY
CODE OF CONDUCT
These rules and guidelines are for the protection of all who use the library. The Library staff may require a patron to leave the premises, call the police or ultimately bar a patron from the library for noncompliance with this Code of Conduct. If you observe patron behavior which does not meet this Code of Conduct, please notify a library staff member.
- ALCOHOL/DRUGS: Alcohol or illegal drugs may not be brought into the library or onto library grounds for use or distribution, nor may persons under the influence of either use the library.
- ANIMALS: Only animals trained to assist disabled individuals or certified therapy animals are permitted in the library.
- DISORDERLY CONDUCT: Harassment of staff or other patrons, disorderly conduct or other behavior that disrupts library use is prohibited. Examples of disorderly conduct include (but are not limited to):
- Brawling, fighting, or physically assaulting library staff or other patrons
- Engaging in offensive, obscene, abusive, boisterous, harassing, or loud actions
- Using offensive, obscene, or abusive language
- CELL PHONES: Cell phone use is allowed only in the upstairs entry way or downstairs hallway.
- CLOSING TIME: Please leave the library promptly at closing time.
- DRESS: Shoes or sandals and shirts must be worn in the library.
- EMERGENCIES: When the alarm sounds, please follow staff directions promptly.
- FOOD/BEVERAGES: Food and beverages cannot be consumed in the library.
- GANG COLORS: No gang colors or symbols are allowed in the library.
- LAWS: No one may violate any city ordinance, state statute, or federal law while in the library building or on library grounds.
- LOITERING: Entrances, doorways and stairs must be kept clear at all times.
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Filming and photography is allowed if it does not interfere with the delivery of library services. Persons filming or taking photographs on library premises are responsible for gaining all necessary permissions to use the photos.
- RUNNING: For the safety of all patrons, please do not run in the library.
- SKATEBOARDS AND IN-LINE SKATES: Carry skateboards and remove skates while in the library.
- SOLICITATION: Solicitation is not allowed in library public areas or on the library grounds
- STAFF AREAS: The public is not permitted behind the public service desks or in other non-public areas unless allowed/invited by library staff.
- THEFT/DAMAGE TO PROPERTY: Intentional damage and/or defacement of materials, furnishings, equipment or premises, or attempts at theft will be prosecuted according to Minnesota Statutes 609.541. Clipping coupons, cutting articles out of magazines, removing pages from any books or magazines, hacking or altering computer settings, writing on, scratching or in any way damaging materials, furniture, or premises are included in this policy.
- TOBACCO: Tobacco products (including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, e-cigarettes, chewing tobacco, etc.) cannot be used or displayed in the library or on the library grounds
- UNATTENDED CHILDREN: A responsible adult or caregiver must accompany any child under the age of 10 years old while he/she is using the Library, for the child’s safety and comfort. A caregiver is defined as any individual 16 years of age or older who has the authority and responsibility to care for a child by the child’s parent or legal guardian. If an unattended child calls attention to him/herself, Library staff will attempt to locate the parent/caregiver in the library and inform him/her of the policy. If the parent/caregiver is not present in the building or cannot be reached by telephone, the local Police Department may be asked to intervene. Parents, legal guardians, caregivers, and children who are in violation of this policy are subject to suspension of library privileges.
- WEAPONS – Weapons such as clubs, knives, and swords are not allowed in the library or on library grounds.
Approved by the Van Horn Public Library Board of Trustees May 18, 2015