Come and show off your intellectual prowess or cheer on the brave contestants while enjoying a tasty beverage at South x SouthEast Brewing Co!
Top spellers will get fabulous prizes from SxSE.
This is a single elimination spelling bee. Eliminated participants are encouraged to hang around and support the other spellers still competing for bragging rights.
- Registration opens at 5:30 and closes at 6:00. Late comers can enjoy a drink from the bar and the show, but they won’t be able to register to spell, so synchronize your watches!
- There is no charge to register, but please bring an donation for the event’s partner (see the schedule below!).
- When spellers register, they will be asked to roll a 100 sided die. Speller order will go from lowest to highest.
- The spelling bee is conducted in rounds. Each speller remaining in the spelling bee at the start of a round spells one word in each round.
- Spellers will be provided a word, along with its definition and a sentence featuring the word. Our MC will do their best to pronounce all words correctly, but sometimes words are hard. Please be patient!
- Spellers will have 60 seconds to spell their word. Notepads & writing implements will be provided (we’re not animals!). To confirm that you have completed the spelling of your word please use the usual spelling bee convention of “word, w-o-r-d, word.” You will not be penalized for not doing so, but it’s good form.
- The way a speller spells their word out loud for the first time is their final answer. Please speak loudly and clearly so the judge can hear you correctly. Spellers may be removed misspelling a word or if they do not provide a complete spelling before their time expires.
- If a word is misspelled it will be retired and a new word will be given to the next speller.
- The judges’ rulings are final.
We are partnering with a different community organization for each bee:
January 25: Pine Island Sharing Shelves. Please bring a can of soup for the PI Sharing Shelves.
April 25: Pine Island Little Libraries. Please bring a new or gently used book to help stock the new Little Libraries in Pine Island’s City Parks.
October 24: UMC Baby Closet. Please bring a new or gently used donation appropriate for newborn to age 3 children.