National Library Week
This week, the Van Horn Public Library encourages all community members to explore and access our virtual services and programs. Both libraries offer a wide array of online resources that are available from the comfort of home, including eBooks via Overdrive, eLibrary of Minnesota databases, and the SELCO Libraries app.
April 4-10, 2021 is National Library Week, a time to highlight the essential role libraries, librarians and library workers play in transforming lives and strengthening communities. The theme for this year’s National Library Week is “Welcome to your library,” which promotes the idea that libraries extend far beyond the four walls of a building and that everyone is welcome to use their services. Whether people visit virtually or in person, libraries are accessible and inclusive places that foster a sense of belonging and community through learning, discovery and exploration.
During these challenging times, libraries of all types have been going above and beyond to adapt to our changing world by expanding their resources and continuing to meet the needs of their patrons. Here are the ongoing programs offered by the Van Horn Public Library to celebrate National Library Week.
- April is Poetry Month, so we are looking for you to make Book Spine Poetry. Write a poem by arranging books so their titles create a poem. You can do this with your own books or movies, or you can come into the library to do so. Snap a picture, email or tag us on social media by April 10, and you’ll be entered into a drawing for a Van Horn Public Library tote bag.
- Earth Day is April 22, and to help you get ready for it, we are offering take and make seed bomb kits. Stop by the VHPL to get a kit while supplies last.
The VHPL also offers weekly children’s programming that includes:
- Bedtime Stories – Every Monday at 7pm, Miss Heidi will read 1-2 stories and do a song or two to help the kiddos get ready for bedtime! This event happens live on Facebook from our event page.
- Music and Motion – Join us live via Zoom for musical silliness and laughter every Thursday at 10am! Check out our Facebook Event page for the link and more information.
- Zoom Games – April 10 at 10am. Spend an hour with us playing games together! Interactive games will include home scavenger hunts, drawing games, word games, active play, etc. We will play “face-to-face” on Zoom, so that we can all see each other and what we say/make/do.
This National Library Week, the public can show their appreciation and support for libraries by visiting their library’s website, following them on social media and using the hashtag #NationalLibraryWeek.